Search This Blog

26.7.11

Tuedsday, July 26 - Day 2

After a good night's sleep, we woke up around 9 O'clock to sunshine and blue skies.  As we loaded the gear back onto the bikes, I noticed that the lobby and parking lot was crawling with polo shirts and walking shorts.  More evidence that the PGA was in town.

We hit the road and within minutes we were heading up U.S. 23 in Michigan for Ann Arbor and then Flint.  All along the ride the sky was mostly a pale blue, dotted with cotton ball clouds.  Temperatures were in the upper 70's.  You couldn't have ordered a better day out of a catalog.

About an hour north of Flint, U.S. 23 turns east toward Lake Huron and then north again along the coast line.  For the next 150 miles, we went through little towns and villages filled with an endless variety of lake side homes.  Towns like Omer, which bills it self as "Michigan's Smallest City" and Au Gres.  Each occupied by residents living in everything from the simple bungalow to the sublime mansion.  But regardless of the owner's station in life, they all shared the same spectacular view of Huron.
In the town of  Tawas, we pulled into the town park on the lake shore.  Our first opportunity to stop and gaze at a lake we had never before seen.  We took a couple of photos and I decided I needed to touch the water.  I walked around the walkway railing and down the rocks to the water's edge.

As my boot hit the wet stone, I slipped into the water and was almost knee deep.  My "waterproof" boots filled with water and my phone went to the bottom.  The crystal clear water made it easy to find and grab, but only time would tell if it would ever work again.

I removed my wet socks and insoles, drained the boots as well as I could, put them back on tied loosely and rode the rest of the way "commando" footed.
View from our room
We checked into the Driftwood Motel about 5:30 and opened the door to the room and were greeted with a view of Lake Huron that could be on post cards for this town of Rogers City, Michigan.  I called my high school friend Joe, (yes, the phone works) who invited us to visit his current home town and we made plans to do some riding in the next few days.

After dinner at the Lighthouse restaurant, we headed back to the motel and took advantage of the hot tub.  A welcome comfort to the saddle sore butts.

We're meeting Joe for breakfast in the morning and who knows from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment